May 18, 2006

Dancing all night with military dictators


George W Bush, that Eliza Doolittle of world politics, already bored with Libya's Muammar al-Gaddafi, his recently-rediscovered love, has found a new dance partner in Korea's Kim Jung-Il:

Washington, May 17 (The New York Times) - President Bush's top advisers have recommended a broad new approach to dealing with North Korea that would include beginning negotiations on a peace treaty, even while efforts to dismantle the country's nuclear program are still under way, senior administration officials and Asian diplomats say.

The lesson for other countries that want to restore their relations with Washington is clear. Become a military dictatorship. Eliminate every single trace of democracy from your society and politics. And... Voila! Washington's suitors will come a-courting to your doorstep before you know it.

As Eliza/Dubya would say:

I could have danced all night!
I could have danced all night!
And still have begged for more.
I could have spread my wings
And done a thousand things I've never done before.
I'll never know What made it so exciting;
Why all at once My heart took flight. I only know when he
Began to dance with me I could have danced,
danced, danced all night!

(True, the bit about never having done this sort of thing before is hardly apropos, but that's another story -- a long story.)

1 comment:

Los said...

North Korea wants to have its cake and eat it to. They want other countries to continue to "help" them with their energy issues (and other issues as well), while still wanting to become a bully with nuclear weapons.